About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, July 16, 2012

Psalm 46


God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
Psalm 46:1

Psalm 46:1 is a verse to remember. For me it is one of those “go to” places where I reassure myself of God’s love, power and presence. God loves us enough to provide a shelter in the midst of the storms of life. God’s strength is never diminished by our situation. Over and over, the Psalms assure us that God is with us. He is abundantly present. When the storms of life threaten us, we can react in many different ways. At first, we struggle to restore equilibrium. But, in the most unsettling moments of life, we have an opportunity to look to God and see the beauty that Psalm 46 describes. It’s a time to “be still and know that He is God”. Then we find stability.

“Stability does not depend on our ability to shore up crumbling foundations in the midst of change and confusion. Rather, it rests on the character of the One who promises to love us where we are. Faith is a response to that love, rooting us in the reality of a God who is faithful.” (Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove, The Wisdom of Stability: Rooting Faith in a Mobile Culture)

No comments: