About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, February 10, 2014

Preparing for the future


And may the Lord make you increase and abound in love to one another and to all, just as we do to you, so that He may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all His saints.
1 Thessalonians 3:12-13
                                  
If I mention the return of our Lord Jesus Christ, what are your next thoughts? You may reflect on one of your favorite passages in the Bible. You may have many unanswered questions about the nature or timing of His return. From the Gospels to Revelation, the New Testament has a lot to share about the return of Jesus. One of my favorite references is found in Paul’s letter to the Thessalonians.

Paul may not answer my questions about Jesus’ return, but he gives some practical guidance about how to prepare for the future. Here’s a quick list of takeaways from these two verses. (1) Increase in love. That’s it. It’s not complicated. Paul covers my need to love others and then just to clear up any confusion, he expands the scope of love to include “all”.  (2) Let love contribute to the condition of my heart. It seems that love contributes to the creation of the kind of heart that is pleasing to God. Want a blameless and holy heart? Love will help. (3) Recognize that we will all stand “before” God at some point. This is a brief reminder that I am/will be accountable to God for the way I live.

No comments: