About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, February 24, 2014

Brave Heart


We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is fitting, because your faith grows exceedingly, and the love of every one of you all abounds toward each other
2 Thessalonians 1:3

When Paul wrote a letter to the church at Thessalonica he began by expressing his gratitude toward God for their spiritual development. The young believers had given Paul several reasons to give thanks. After all, their faith was growing, as was their love for one another. All in all, you could say that Paul was pleased with the reputation of the church.

I am impressed with the face value of the two virtues mentioned by Paul. Faith and love rank pretty high when it comes to the reputation of a follower of Christ. But behind these two virtues is another Christian virtue that is easily overlooked. I am referring to the evidence that the young believers were growing. Having faith is good. Growing faith is better. Love is essential. Growing our love by way of our actions toward one another is better. It strikes me as important that Paul includes descriptive terms that describe increase. Christian life is not a static existence. It is an adventure in transformation.

Such an adventure requires courage. Centuries ago, Fenelon (1651-1715) referred to need to follow God with a “brave heart”. He wrote, “God has little patience with those weak souls who say to themselves, ‘I shall go this far and no farther’”. Complacency is a formidable foe! Growth is the passion of a courageous heart. Let us resolve to continue to grow our faith and abound in love.

No comments: