About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, November 11, 2013

Veterans Day: The Message of the Cross


For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
1 Corinthians 1:18

It sounds ridiculous. But, sometimes I believe it’s easy to confuse wisdom and foolishness. What appears to be wise is sometimes foolish. What appears to be foolish is sometimes wise. To make matters worse, I (along with a vast amount of humanity past, present and future) am tempted to underestimate the gap between my understanding and God’s infinite wisdom.

Consider the cross of Christ. By definition, a “paradox” is a statement that, despite sound reasoning may seem senseless or logically unacceptable. Jesus took paradox to a new level. To live, I must die. The first shall be last. If I desire to be great, I must become a servant. The cross is the greatest paradox of all. The Son of God went to the cross. The Messiah died a sacrificial death. The Lord took on my shame and guilt and died for me. How is that wisdom? When Paul the Apostle wrote a letter to the Corinthians, he highlighted the struggle with the cross. Some in the first century found it difficult to embrace the power of the Gospel because it seemed foolish to them. Paul provided great clarity. The message of the sacrificial death of Jesus on the cross is the power of God to salvation. Three hundred years later St. Ambrose echoed the message of Paul, “The Lord’s Cross, then, is my wisdom; the Lord’s Death my redemption; for we are redeemed with His precious blood”.

As I grow older I learn more and more that Jesus desires to change everything. He changes my heart. He changes my perspective. He changes my attitude. Thankfully, I am a work in progress. Today is Veterans Day. It’s a great day to reflect on the words of Jesus and the example of Jesus as we remember men and women who have devoted their lives for the benefit of others. According to Jesus, discipleship is defined by self-denial, self-sacrifice and humbly following Him. Meditate on His words today: “Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends” (John 15:13).

No comments: