About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, November 25, 2013

Grace before Thanksgiving


 For all things are for your sakes, that grace, having spread through the many, may cause thanksgiving to abound to the glory of God.
2 Corinthians 4:15

No doubt, thoughts about thanksgiving will abound this week. But, will thanksgiving “abound to the glory of God”? In large part, I think it depends on whether I choose to acknowledge God’s grace. This particular verse, in Paul’s letter to the Corinthians serves as a good reminder to dwell upon the grace of God this week. Thanksgiving springs from God’s grace and finds purpose in glorifying God. It’s not surprising that the true source and goal of thanksgiving can become so easily crowded out of our lives. Preserving the sacred purpose of thanksgiving involves more than perspective. It requires discipline.

If God’s grace is the precursor for thanksgiving, then pride is the primary hindrance. Any hope of preserving a proper perspective on thanksgiving rests upon a conscious effort to turn toward the One who is full of grace. John Owen directs, “See to it that all thoughts concerning Christ and His glory are accompanied with admiration, adoration and thanksgiving.” In the midst of a flood of distractions this week, choose to look toward Christ. Experience and appreciate the grace of God and let His grace feed your heart. Let is produce abundant thanksgiving to the glory of God.

No comments: