About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The heat is on


Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, and whose hope is the Lord. For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters, which spreads out its roots by the river, and will not fear when heat comes
Jeremiah 17:7-8

Lately, in preschool chapel, I have been teaching the children about the fruit of the Spirit. In order to help them understand what it means to “bear fruit” I usually have them stretch their little arms up in the air and pretend they are growing up to be big trees for God. Jeremiah 17 provides a great word picture of the kind of tree that I want to be. Here’s what I’m thinking this morning.

First, the tree in Jeremiah is planted by the waters. I want my life to be planted by God where He wants me and always in close proximity to His provision. Second, I want to be a tree that spreads out its roots. Roots seek the things that lead to health and growth. I desire to be a lifelong learner. Finally, it matters to me how I respond when the “heat comes”. Summer brings heat every year. But, that’s not the kind of heat that Jeremiah is talking about. The trials of life are not always as predictable as summer. All of us can expect to endure some heat in life. It’s not a matter of “if” it’s a matter of “when”. If you continue reading in Jeremiah 17, you will discover that the tree does not merely survive the heat, but it continues to thrive. I want to continue to have “green leaves” in spite of the heat that comes my way.

Jeremiah makes it clear that such a life is built on “trust” in the Lord and “hope” in the Lord. It is a “blessed” life. Notice that the “blessings” of God do not guarantee that I will not endure heat. Rather, this healthy tree is able to combat the fear that so often comes when the heat is on. It’s probably worth the journey back into Jeremiah 17 to note the contrast in the previous verses between the blessed “tree” and the cursed “shrub”. The “shrub” in the desert is the one who trusts in self rather than God. Now, what do I want to be today… a shrub in the desert or a tree by the river?

1 comment:

George Allin said...

Great word, Pastor Paul! I too want to be a tree by the river!