About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, October 7, 2013

How big is the Neighborhood?


Jesus said,
“But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” (Acts 1:8)

Perspective. It’s sometimes defined as a “point of view” or “frame of reference”. It has to do with how we see. Sometimes it has to do with how far we see. As I read the New Testament, I am impressed by a recurring theme. God wants me to see beyond myself. God wants me to lift up my eyes and enlarge my vision.

Remember how Jesus redefined neighborhood boundaries. When asked, “Who is my neighbor?” Jesus told a story about a “good neighbor” who was a Samaritan. That must have been an unexpected detail to those who were listening. Just prior to His ascension to heaven Jesus instructed His disciples to engage in the global mission of God. First, Jesus promised his followers that the Holy Spirit would provide power. After the promise of power, Jesus clarified the purpose. The mission has not changed. Neither has our dependence upon the Holy Spirit to empower us to be credible witnesses for Jesus diminished. Finally, when Jesus presented the scope of the mission, it’s a reminder that God’s view is limitless. God sees the end of the earth more easily than I can see the end of my nose. The presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives compels us to see differently and prevents us from exempting anyone from the reach of the Gospel.

No comments: