About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, October 21, 2013

The love of God


Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.
Romans 5:5

The Apostle Paul prayed that the early Christians would be able to comprehend how wide, long, deep and high the love of Christ is toward us (Ephesians 3:18). It’s a big prayer. In fact, Paul admits that it surpasses knowledge. Yet, I believe it is God’s love for me that inspires and enables me to live for God and to love others as God commands.

Recently, as I was studying the fifth chapter of Romans, I discovered two extraordinary reminders of God’s love for us. First, Paul states the fundamental truth of the Gospel: Jesus died for the ungodly as a demonstration of God’s love for us (Romans 5:8). This is the essence of the Gospel. I pray that my gratitude toward God for His extravagant sacrifice of love never grows stale. Second, Paul aptly describes the outpouring of the Holy Spirit as a gift of love. Carefully, read Romans 5:5. My heart is the target of God’s torrent of love. God’s love is neither abstract nor impersonal. Just as Christ came to earth “in person” to live, die, be buried and resurrect from the dead, the Holy Spirit has come to visit our hearts. The abundant love of God that is aimed at my heart is personal. The presence of the Holy Spirit is a personal reminder of the love of God. I pray that the knowledge that God is with you will refresh you and remind you of His great love today.   

No comments: