About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, December 3, 2012

Don't be afraid of the dark


May the name of God be praised forever and ever, for wisdom and power belong to Him…He knows what is in the darkness and light dwells with Him.
Daniel 2:20,22

God gave Daniel a special gift. He was able to interpret King Nebuchadnezzar’s dream. It was an ability that God gave to Daniel and when the time came for Daniel to use the gift he was faithful to offer praise to God. Daniel 2:20-23 contains his expression of praise. As part of Daniel’s praise, he offers a description of God’s wisdom and power. Specifically, Daniel mentions that God “knows what is in the darkness.” Certainly, this has relevance to the fact that God allowed Daniel to interpret the king’s dream and in so doing, God enabled Daniel to “see” the meaning of the dream that was “hidden” to others. But, beyond the immediate context, Daniel’s description of God is accurate and encouraging. How often do we fear what we cannot see or know? How often do we struggle to “walk by faith and not by sight”? Sometimes life is such that we feel as though we are “in the dark”. We can’t see the way forward and we fear what lies ahead. Here’s where Daniel’s praise provides some practical insight. What we need most when we are in the dark is light. Daniel reminds us that light dwells with God and so should we.

No comments: