About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, November 26, 2012

Daniel's choice


But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king’s delicacies, nor with the wine which he drank
Daniel 1:8

Life is filled with choices. It’s a mixture of gifts and challenges. The book of Daniel is a great primer on how to successfully navigate significant challenges in life. Usually, Daniel is most remembered for surviving a trip to a lion’s den. By the way, that’s not a bad way to be remembered. But, there’s much more to Daniel than one event. Chapter one begins with an explanation of how Daniel is selected to serve the King of Babylon. He is chosen and carried away because of his appearance, intellect and potential to serve the Babylonian empire. It’s a pretty strong intro for a youngster. But, there’s more to Daniel than his leadership potential. At an early age, Daniel learned that character matters. Imagine the pressure of being in a strange place, receiving a new name and engaging in an intentional Babylonian enculturation process. In the midst of this new world, Daniel had the courage to say “no”. He based his decision on the conviction of his heart. It’s a defining moment in Daniel’s life and it’s an exemplary lesson for us today. Integrity rests on the congruence between conviction and behavior. Integrity requires us to possess enough resolve to be willing and able to say  “yes” and “no”. We respond to culture according to a heart that has been redeemed for God’s purposes and a mind that has been transformed by His Spirit rather than the pressures of the world around us. We have the benefit of watching how Daniel’s early choice helped him develop strong character that was required to face significant challenges later in his life. Regardless of our age, our godly choices contribute to the development of our character in the future.

No comments: