About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, November 12, 2012

Unfair


“But you say, ‘The Lord’s way isn’t fair.’ Now listen, house of Israel: Is it My way that is unfair? Instead, isn’t it your ways that are unfair?”
Ezekiel 18:25

As I continue to move through the Old Testament, I am thankful for my decision to take time in each book. The reason? Otherwise, I might decide to skip Ezekiel and move on toward Daniel. After all, the first half of Daniel is much easier to read. But, it would be a shame to skip Ezekiel. Ezekiel has such a relevant message for today. Ezekiel exposes a widespread tendency. Why consider personal responsibility when it’s so easy to blame others? In Ezekiel’s day, the “house of Israel” accused God of being unfair. Things really haven’t changed much in the last two or three thousand years. Whether I am reading authors who argue against the existence of God or listening to complaints from believers, this tendency crops up. If God doesn’t behave the way I think He should, then I am not obligated to believe or trust. God’s response is worth considering. God tells Israel to take a look in the mirror. How does your perspective measure up? If I am bold enough to accuse God of being unjust, is it because my perspective is so much better? The God I believe in knows the future. I do not. The God I believe in sees into the hearts of all who live. I cannot. The God I believe in has gifted me with the very consciousness that allows me to consider fairness. Unfair? Let me think about it.  

No comments: