About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, August 20, 2012

The Meaning of Life


“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher.
“Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless.”
Ecclesiastes 1:2

According to the opening verse in Ecclesiastes, these words belong to “the teacher”. It’s a tough way to start a book in the Bible. My reaction is made even tougher when I consider that the “teacher” is described as the son of David, king in Jerusalem. Immediately, I begin to consider the perspective of Solomon, a man of great wisdom and understanding. So, what should I make of the redundant message about the “meaninglessness” of life? Most approaches to Ecclesiastes begin with the summary statement at the end of the book. Accordingly, the conclusion of the matter is to “fear God and keep His commandments”. I breathe a sigh of relief when I read the end, but it hardly answers all my questions about the cynical tone of the preceding material. Oddly enough, my questions about Solomon’s existential experiment and commentary are best answered by a question. Is there a way to interpret Ecclesiastes in light of the Gospel? I believe there is. Jesus asked the question, “what good is it for someone to gain the whole world yet forfeit his soul?” (Mark 8:36) What is the answer to Jesus’ question? It’s meaningless. It’s all meaningless. Jesus asked a second question, “What can anyone give in exchange for their soul?” (Mark 8:37) I see evidence all around me everyday of what people are willing to exchange for the health of their soul. After reading the words of Jesus, the survey of life contained in Ecclesiastes takes on new level of gravity. A soul that fears God and keeps His commandments is a healthy soul.

No comments: