About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, August 6, 2012

How do you measure success?


The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and those who win souls are wise.
Proverbs 11:30

I love the way the Proverbs deliver such a straightforward message of truth. If we have questions about living wisely, Proverbs is a primary source for help. This week, I was drawn to the vivid picture of life provided in Proverbs 11:30. This verse is packed with meaning. It touches so many of the pressure points of life. Does my life have purpose or meaning? Am I successful? What are the benchmarks of integrity and credibility? Am I a positive influence on others? It’s difficult to summarize so many messages. So I will share my biggest impression from the Proverb. I am called to have a life-giving influence on those around me. Whether though the influence of my words or actions or a combination of the two, I exist to enrich the lives of others. Big mission? Yes, in fact it is far beyond my capability. After all, how can I produce a tree of life? It’s a question that brings me to another beautiful prophetic picture of God’s grace. Long before “Miracle-Gro” existed, God’s Spirit was helping trees to grow.

For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour out my Spirit on your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants. They will spring up like grass in a meadow, like poplar trees by flowing streams.
Isaiah 44:3-4

It’s a great encouragement for us to increase our daily dependence on the refreshing presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives.

No comments: