About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, August 13, 2012

A Discerning Heart


The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out.
Proverbs 18:15

I love to learn. I have enjoyed reading since I was a small child. I’m thankful for my appetite to acquire knowledge. That may be why this Proverb grabbed my attention. For a short Proverb, this little verse packs a powerful punch. It’s a great reminder to me. Take care of your heart! After all, a healthy heart is a catalyst for acquiring knowledge. Cultivating a discerning heart is an intentional process. God has created us with a heart with the capacity to do “good” or “evil”. Even my pursuit of knowledge can be tainted with selfishness. As I have revisited the wisdom of the Proverbs, I have come to recognize the relationship between an understanding heart and my respect and reverence for God. The repeated reminders in Proverbs are helpful. “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge”. That recognition connects my “heart” with my “ears”. How do ears “seek” out knowledge? I think the Proverbs help us understand that ears that seek wisdom and knowledge are attached to a person with a heart that belongs to God and a willingness to listen to God above all else.

No comments: