About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, September 12, 2011

Rookie

We are beginning a journey through the Bible on Sunday mornings. When we dig into the rich message of each book, we should expect to be changed. We should expect to “grow up” a bit in our spiritual lives. It’s football season. Every year coaches talk about the “veteran” players and the young players that need to be developed. When Jesus called disciples to follow Him it’s pretty clear that they were rookies. They were freshmen in the discipleship process. Undaunted by their lack of experience, Jesus proceeded to engage a select group of people on a transformational journey. He has called each of us to join the same journey. The humanity of Jesus’ disciples is well-documented. The characterization of the twelve is colorful and verges on embarrassment. Yet, Jesus invested in their lives. It was an intentional strategic process that resulted in radical and explosive change. When we take the time to read about the process we learn that Jesus faced some challenges that are common to all leaders. Consequently, we can learn from His response to those challenges and His love for His disciples. Probably would make a good leadership book. Mixed with a bit of sarcasm we can come up with some prospective chapter titles. Which chapter is for you?

1. Misguided Passion: Reigning in a quick response instead of raining down fire on others. (James and John: aka The Sons of Thunder)
2. Revelation and Impulse: Jesus, You are the One and Only and You can count on me unless you ask me at the wrong time. (Peter)
3. I doubt it but you can prove-it-to-me. (Thomas)
4. Pre-maturity (How to mix very little prayer and very little fasting and produce very little faith)
5. How to move from Fearless to Fearful and back to Fearless in a day or less.

No comments: