About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, September 19, 2011

Omnipresence

“I don’t want to talk about you like you’re not in the room.”
Jesus Culture from the song You won’t relent

I am struck by the words of Exodus 2:23-25. Read the passage carefully.

“During that long period, the king of Egypt died. The Israelites groaned in their slavery and cried out, and their cry for help because of their slavery went up to God. God heard their groaning and he remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac and with Jacob. So God looked on the Israelites and was concerned about them.”

Exodus is a fascinating journal of God’s deliverance. Chapter two announces the birth of a baby boy who is given the name "Moses". We know him as the great deliverer of God's people. But, at the end of chapter two, it seemed that Moses had missed the mark and deliverance was far from imminent. In the midst of the chapter, Moses fled from Pharaoh to Midian. His sentiment is expressed in the name of his son Gershom which means "I have become an alien in a foreign land". Yet, it is at the end of the chapter we read that God “heard”; God “remembered”; God “looked” and God was “concerned” about His people. How often do we ruminate on the presumed distance of God rather than trusting that He is near? In the next chapter of Exodus, God speaks to Moses from a burning bush. Exodus 3:7 is a restatement of the powerful words at the end of Chapter Two. God told Moses "I have seen the misery of my people in Egypt, I have heard them crying...and I am concerned about their suffering" I love the words of the Jesus Culture song “You won’t relent”. Indeed "I don’t want to talk about God as if He is not in the room". I don't want to forget that God sees His people. God hears our cries. The omnipresence of God is beyond our comprehension. It doesn't change the fact that no matter where we are today. God is in the room.

No comments: