About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, September 26, 2011

I can't be still

Exodus 14:14
The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.

It’s a short verse that paints a big picture. Like so much of the Bible, there is part that we love and a part that we love to ignore. We love to hear that “the Lord will fight for us”. We are not so excited about the command to “be still”. “Be still” is hard for us to receive. When we are in a threatening situation everything within us wants to run rather than to be still. In our distorted way of thinking, movement means relief. Busyness promises relief. This is clear in the context of Exodus 14. The Israelites were trapped between a rock and a hard place. Specifically, they were trapped between an Egyptian army and the sea. Their response was twofold. First, they were terrified. Note to self…I rarely make my best decisions when I’m terrified. Second, they decided that they preferred slavery in Egypt. Again, not the best thought process. Maybe that’s why the Lord wanted them to “be still”. Take time to read Exodus 13. Why were they staring at the sea and the army instead of the pillar of cloud and fire? The Israelites needed to remember that God was with them. We do too. They needed to catch their breath before they ran in the wrong direction. We do too. It’s interesting that the next instruction from the Lord was for the people to “move on”. So, taken in sequence the Lord told them to “be still” and then “move on” in the proper direction. Not a bad pattern to follow in life. Don’t move until you have taken the time to recognize God’s presence. Don’t allow a threatening situation (or any other situation) to set your course this week. First, be still and look to God. Then, follow His lead.

No comments: