About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, August 26, 2011

What were you thinking?

God Almighty has entrusted us with the use of reason, and we use it to the disorder and corruption of our nature. We reason ourselves into all kinds of folly and misery, and make our lives the sport of foolish and extravagant passions.
William Law, A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life (1729)

If William Law thought decisions were foolish in the 1720's, what would he think about decisions today? I'm pretty sure our lives are filled with a bit more foolish and extravagant passions today than what Law observed 300 years ago. Before his description of the end result of our abuse of reason, Law took note of the fact that Almighty God has entrusted us with the use of reason. In other words, our ability to make reasoned choices is a gift from God. We are "free" to abuse it if we choose. We can use reason to build our character through choices that honor God or we can choose to corrupt our nature. Sadly, there is no shortage of misery and folly. How much is the result of our own reasoning?

No comments: