About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, August 29, 2011

Daily Meditation

What did “self help” books look like four hundred years ago? St. Francis de Sales wrote a good one. The title prepares you for the content: “Introduction to the Devout Life”. This is not going to be on the “feel good” shelf. “How can I be my best self?” is not a new question. In fact, it’s more of a quest than a question. The answer engages all of our faculties. In order to live according to God’s plan and purpose for our lives, we need a change of heart and also a change in our desires. Many of the classic writers referred to these desires as “affections”. It’s not easy to change our affections. St. Francis de Sales prescribed mediation in the presence of God. Here is an example of one of the meditations:

God did not bring you into the world because He had need of you…but solely that He might show forth His Goodness in you, giving you His Grace and Glory. And to this end He gave you understanding that you might know Him, memory that you might think of Him, a will that you might love Him, imagination that you might realize His mercies, sight that you might behold the marvels of His works, speech that you might praise Him, and so on with all your other faculties.

No comments: