About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, August 8, 2011

Favorite Food

“My food,” said Jesus, “is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.”
John 4:34

I love to eat. Summer is a great time for eating. I love fresh fruits and vegetables. Yesterday, we had our church picnic. Somehow, fried chicken just tastes better at a picnic. My food experience reaches beyond my taste buds. Really, I do consider the nutritional value of the things I put in my body. Because of my diabetes, there is not a day that goes by that I do not consider the miracle of metabolism at some level. God allows our bodies to translate food into “fuel” and we are able to function because of this miracle. When Jesus said that his food was the do the Father’s will, he was responding to his disciples. They urged Jesus to eat some food. It was a teachable moment. So, Jesus responded with a message through contrast. He contrasted material food, with spiritual nourishment. As always, we can learn from his teaching. It makes me pause. Do I enjoy obedience to the Father as much as I enjoy temporary and tangible things? Am I refreshed and strengthened to the core of my being when I serve the purpose of God on a daily basis? Jesus understood this truth. He shared his understanding so that his disciples then and now could understand. At mealtime today, take time to reflect on the two types of “food” described in John 4.

No comments: