About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Peace

And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:7

I was studying in Philippians this week. This particular verse has been a favorite of mine for a long time. The idea that God's peace can guard our hearts and minds has been a source of great comfort to me in some of my most difficult times in life. Along with the comforting message of this verse, I have often recognized that God's peace is so amazing that it is indescribable. In other words, God's peace is beyond "my understanding". As I read this passage this week, I thought about the deep truth in that statement. Not only is God's peace beyond measure, it really is beyond undertanding. At first, this may sound like subtle twist on the message of this verse. However, at times this can be a hindrance to the peace we crave. Sometimes our desire to "understand" our situation or "understand" how God can give peace actually hinders us from receiving God's peace. If I require "understanding" in all things, I will forfeit God's peace. I'm not saying that we shouldn't seek to gain understanding. But, if we wait until we understand everything we will never discover what it means to trust God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this post! His ways are higher than our ways......and the peace that passes all understanding will guard our hearts.
Seems at times that living for today and tomorrow will take care of itself is the hardest one to live out. But that's what He says to do, doesn't He?
blessings,
Craig