About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Forgiveness

"The strongest argument in favor of grace is the alternative, a world of ungrace. The strongest argument for forgiveness is the alternative, a permanent state of unforgiveness."
Phillip Yancey

Yancey's words interest me. I'm studying forgiveness. I'm preparing for a message about forgiveness on Sunday. It's a lot easier to study forgiveness than it is to practice it. It's fine to keep it at a safe distance and comment about what Jesus had to say about it. It's quite another thing to be confronted with a real live person who has caused hurt. When it happens we build a case for what Yancey calls "ungrace". We wait for an apology. We crave retribution. We construct a list of will be required in order for someone to deserve forgiveness. And we wait for satisfaction. When these conditions are constructed by a heart that has chosen "ungrace", satisfaction never comes. In the midst of our "ungrace" we develop a profound case of amnesia. How many times have I been forgiven? Many. How many times did I deserve to be forgiven? None. These two questions have the potential to bring about a quick recovery from forgiveness. Meditation on own experiences with forgiveness can melt away "ungrace" and uncover the grace within us.

No comments: