About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Saturday, July 17, 2010

More on Forgiveness

The story of forgiveness is a story of two kingdoms. The kingdom of heaven is a generous kingdom. It's a kingdom where workers get paid the same whether they begin the day at dawn or dusk (Read Matthew 20:1-16). It's a kingdom that is marked by God's righteousness more so than by what we deem is fair. That bothers us. It doesn't bother us so much when we are recipients of God's mercy and grace. But, in our kingdom, we tend to get envious, jealous and selfish. We tend to want rules to apply to others that we desire to escape. We tend to view forgiveness as something we deserve and yet ration it when it comes to dispensing it to others. Jesus knows us well. Jesus knows the difference between our kingdom and His. That's why He taught us to pray: "Father...forgive us as we forgive". More and more this part of my prayer causes me to pause. It brings a lump in my throat. It's easy to rush through it. It's easy focus like a laser on the forgiveness I need rather than the forgiveness I need to give. But, I dont' believe that is what Jesus has in mind.

No comments: