About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Comfort Food

I love the label "comfort food". Although it is seldom used in a positive way I like the sound of it. Most of the references to comfort food that I have heard have a close connection to either chocolate or potato chips. (No offense to potato chips, but that's not much of a contest - even for a salt lover like me). I'm getting ready to board the plane and head to Moscow. I'm looking forward to the trip. But, as I sit in the airport in Washington, I am reminded that this is not home. I am away from my home and my family. So, I grabbed a cup of comfort - decaf from Starbucks. A warm cup of familiar coffee is comforting. It's a blessing to have a taste of home in so many places. It's a great reminder of how we should live every day. The New Testament reminds us many times that this life - the here and now - is not home. We are strangers, pilgrims, sojourners, travelers. So what is our comfort food? The Psalmist describes it perfectly, "As the deer pants for the water, so my soul thirsts for God". Take comfort in the presence of God. No matter where we are God is with us.

No comments: