About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, November 13, 2008

How's your heart?

I was reading today that 900 Americans die every day from Coronary Heart Disease. That is a staggering statistic. No doubt, many of those who died had no idea that their heart problems were as serious as they were. This weekend I will be sharing a message from Deuteronomy 8:2 where Moses was reminding the people that God led them through the wilderness to test them and know what was in their hearts. So, in spiritual terms, they didn't know the condition of their hearts. God was using the wilderness as a "stress test". He didn't have to hook them up to an ECG or put them on a treadmill. Their actions revealed (very clearly) what was in their hearts. The wilderness was a great stress test. I guess being a pastor qualifies me to be an amateur spiritual cardiologist. By my observation we have a pretty big problem acknowledging our heart conditions. Sometimes a wilderness time exposes the severity of our condition. Even then, we can choose to ignore the signs or turn to God for some emergency repair work.

1 comment:

Brandi said...

Your ability to take everyday life and turn it into a lesson on God's desires for his people never ceases to amaze me. I wouldn't know what to do with any other teacher, Paul ... I'm afraid anyone else would seem woefully under-qualified, and I love that you and Lynn are so focused on directing the attention of your many talents upon the One who gave them to the two of you.

I was really moved by your teaching on this topic as well since heart disease of the medical variety runs in my family, so it was something very easy for me to relate to though it had never occured to me to compare the medical/spiritual in quite that way before. Awesome job, and can't wait to see what's in store for next week!