About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, April 8, 2013

Who is like God?

Who is a God like You, pardoning iniquity and passing over the transgression of the remnant of His heritage? He does not retain His anger forever, because He delights in mercy. He will again have compassion on us, and will subdue our iniquities. You will cast all our sins into the depths of the sea.
Micah 7:18-19

Any attempt to describe the character of God is bound to fall short. God is beyond description. But, the classical Hebrew poetry of Micah is extraordinary. In the closing verses Micah extols the incomparable majesty of God. These two verses explore the complexity of a God who is powerful enough to subdue our iniquity and hurl it into the depths of the see and yet gracious enough to delight in mercy and compassion. Who is a God like You! No wonder Micah includes the confident expectation I watch in hope for the LORD, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me. (Micah 7:7) God has not changed. Twenty-seven centuries later I can ask, What is the basis for my trust in God? What is my assurance that God will hear me today? It is the character of God. God is mighty. God is merciful. God is compassionate.

No comments: