About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Lombardi Quote

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight.

Proverbs 3:5

Both before and after the Denver Broncos lost their bid to march toward the Lombardi Trophy for pro football's best team, a lot of attention has been given to the place of "faith" and "expressions about faith" in sports. Esther Fleece wrote an interesting piece in the Washington Post about Tim Tebow. Although not all of the press has been positive, some of the discussion has been fruitful. Here’s a bright spot. In the article, Fleece quotes Vince Lombardi who said this in a May 1964 speech to the First Friday Club of Los Angeles:

“When we place our dependence in God, we are unencumbered, and we have no worry. In fact, we may even be reckless, insofar as our part in the production is concerned. This confidence, this sureness of action, is both contagious and an aid to the perfect action.

The rest is in the hands of God -- and this is the same God, gentlemen, who has won all of His battles up to now.”

Although Lombardi was speaking to a club about football, his application to all "battles" in life is undeniable. Thanks coach, we needed that.


1 comment:

Marjorie Lloyd said...

I like that quote, although "reckless" might not be the best choice of words since reckless has a connotation of irresponsibility. We always have the responsibility to be obedient as far as we understand what God wants us to do. I'm sure he didn't mean irresponsibility, so perhaps a better word would have been fearless or qualified reckless with "reckless in the eyes of others if we are being obedient." Furthermore, obedience can sometimes be confused with relying on feelings rather than being sure of our actions through prayer and sometimes communication with fellow believers regarding our perception of direction from God.