About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Psalm 19

But who can discern their own errors? Forgive my hidden faults.
Psalm 19:12

I have been reading in Psalm 19 the past few days. In some ways Psalm 19 reads like a “mini” version of Psalm 119. You might recall that Psalm 119 is the longest Psalm and it contains references to God’s Word throughout each verse. Whether references speak to God’s precepts, ordinances, decrees, statutes or law, the message is the same. God’s Word provides a standard that is both righteous and dependable. In Psalm 19, we are told that God’s word is more precious than gold and sweeter than honey (v. 10). Then, suddenly, we are hit with the question in verse 12: “Who can discern their own errors?” The stark question seems a bit of a turn from the beauty of God’s word. But it fits, doesn’t it? Without the light of God’s word, how will we ever recognize our own faults? Without the illumination of truth, how will we discern error? Not to mention the fact that apart from God, we suffer from the malady of personal “blindspots” when it comes to what the Psalmist labels as “hidden faults”. So, if the word of the Lord exposes our faults and helps us discern our errors, than how does that bring joy to the heart? We don’t often relish the joy of having our hidden faults exposed. But, there is comfort. The things that are hidden can damage the soul. God exposes them so that they can be healed and forgiven. If ignored, a small wound can do great damage.

No comments: