About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, February 19, 2010

Twinkle Twinkle

Last night I walked outside and gazed upward. It was a beautiful night. It was nearly cloudless. For me there is an overwhelming sense of the majesty and greatness of God. It was a Psalm 19 moment. "The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard." I was pleasantly surprised when attending a group study this morning to hear Psalm 19 read aloud as part of the study. It was a great reminder of my stargazing experience last night and my awareness of the glory of God. My reflection brings joy and pain. My joy is obvious. My pain is the result of realizing that not everyone "hears" what the heavens declare. Not everyone listens to the speech that pours from the skies. As we discussed this morning, it is a tragedy that is explained in Romans 1. Even our ability to see what is obvious involves a choice. Paul wrote, "since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened". Darkened hearts create deafened ears, ears that cannot hear the glorious praise of the heavens on a star lit night.

2 comments:

Marjorie Lloyd said...

I looked and no one has comment since 9/24/09. I think people are intimidated because you are the pastor, but I imagine you would love to have comments, so I'm going to step out and hope others follow!

Regarding hearing from God, sometimes when he speaks it's not all glorious and thrilling. On the way to work this morning I heard a short devotion by Joni Earickson Toda on a scripture from Jude about grumbling, complaining and fault finding. I had just been complaining and fault finding in my thoughts so it was obvious God was speaking to me, but it took a few minutes to acknowledge that. No thrills for sure!

Paul Metler, Ph.D. said...

Thanks for your thoughtful comment. I do enjoy having comments. I had one of those moments myself recently. I was struck by the beauty and truth of God's Word as He spoke to a specific experience in my life. Your comments reminded me of this occasion because it was so unexpected at the time. Thanks again.