About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Idol Worship

In my recent Old Testament reading in the Bible I have noticed that the subject of "idolatry" gets a lot of coverage. It seems that idolatry was a continual threat to a pure relationship with God. Most of the time we tend to think of "idolatry" as an old forgotten sin that doesn't really manifest among followers of Jesus today. Is that true? I ran across an interesting definition of idolatry today. Eugene Peterson defined idolatry as "using God instead of worshiping God".
Does Peterson's definition change your mind about the importance of guarding against idolatry today? When was the last time you worshiped God, really worshiped God, without trying to "get" something from Him? Is that kind of worship a regular, consistent, non-negotiable part of your life everyday?

No comments: