About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Notes from Jonah about anger

The Lord asked Jonah,
“Is it right for you to be angry?” (Jonah 4:4)
It’s a great question. Was Jonah’s anger righteous?
The following checklist helps us understand why God asked Jonah the question. Also, you can develop a checklist for processing your own anger.

Check your view of yourself
Are you willing to be an instrument of God’s faithful love?
Look deeper than outward actions. Have you been obedient on the outside while hiding what is in my heart? (When God instructed Jonah to go to Nineveh the second time, Jonah went. Although Jonah was obedient to the command of God, his anger revealed the issues that remained in his heart.)

Check your view of people
God cared about the people and even the animals of Nineveh (Jonah 4:10)
Do you love all of the people God loves?

Check your view of God
God sent a storm, a fish, a plant, a worm and extreme heat – all to accomplish His purpose. God is sovereign. He reigns over all creation.
Does anger distort your view of God. When you are angry, you need to ask, “Do I think I know everything I need to know to make the judgment that I am making?” Are you willing to accept that God knows more about this situation than you do? Are you willing to trust God and release your anger to Him?

Check your story
In other words, check your memory. It seems that Jonah was angry toward God because God was merciful toward Nineveh. It’s hard to believe that Jonah had so soon forgotten just how merciful God had been toward him. When Jonah was disobedient and attempted to run from God’s presence, God spared Jonah’s life. Now that God was merciful toward Nineveh, Jonah was angry. When you are angry do you tend to forget your own personal testimony? When you check your story you need to ask, “How has God treated me?” “How has God extended grace to me?” Take the time to read Jonah’s prayer in Jonah 2:
Verse 2 – “I called in my distress and You heard me” Has God heard your prayer in times past?
Verse 6 – “You raised my life from the Pit” Has God rescued you?
Verse 9 – “Salvation is from the Lord” Has God been your source of Salvation?

No comments: