About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, February 18, 2013

Climbing the Ladder of Humility

-->
Your presumptuous heart has deceived you, you who live in clefts of the rock in your home on the heights, who say to yourself, “Who can bring me down to the ground?”
Obadiah 3

As I continue to journey through the Old Testament, I have a fresh appreciation for how the prophets address contemporary issues with great precision. Obadiah is the shortest book in the Bible, but it packs a powerful punch when it comes to the dangers of pride. The question of Obadiah 3 is attributed to Edom, the descendants of Esau. It’s a question that is saturated with pride: “Who can bring me down?” Great question Edom, are you ready for the answer? Of course, the answer is “God”. Obadiah shows that pride encourages foolish invincibility. Though we may never ask such a presumptuous question with those exact words, it’s an attitude that can easily creep into our lives. How do we overcome it? In the 6th century, Benedict of Nursia addressed the need of his day with an ironic call to ascend the “Ladder of Humility”. It’s a ladder that we need to climb.
“The first step of humility is to have a constant reverence for God before our eyes. We must shun our tendency of forgetfulness and be always mindful of God’s commands…Let us remember that God sees all form heaven, that the eyes of God are upon us at all times and in all places.”
Benedict reminds us that it is impossible for our pride to grow alongside of reverence for the Almighty and a mindfulness of God’s commands.

No comments: