About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, October 29, 2012

You can run but you cannot hide


Jerusalem has sinned greatly and so has become unclean. All who honored her despise her, for they have seen her nakedness; she herself groans and turns away.
Lamentations 1:8

The poetry of Lamentations describes God’s judgment on Jerusalem. It’s a view of the city after the fact. In the first chapter, Jerusalem is personified. She experiences isolation and despair and she speaks of her misery. The reason for her devastation is clear. Jerusalem has sinned greatly and God has judged her sinfulness. Judgment arrived by way of the armies of Babylon and now in the aftermath it’s time to lament. In the words of Lamentations 1:8, the city is portrayed as a woman who is shamefully exposed.  The judgment of God has brought about her humiliation before her neighbors. Those who had previously admired her now despise her. For Jerusalem, the destruction was so evident it was impossible to hide the consequences of sin. As I read Lamentations, it causes me to retrace the steps that led to the tragedy. Did the people in Jerusalem believe that it was possible to hide the impact of sinfulness from others and from God? I can’t help but have a flashback to Genesis 3:8. After Adam and Eve disobeyed God, they hid themselves from the presence of God. When God called out to Adam, he answered, “I was afraid because I was naked; and I hid myself”. Really, Adam, did you think you could hide from God? What are the implications for my life? It is futile to think that I am capable of hiding, covering or dressing up my sin in any way that would affect God’s perfect view of my life. His vision pierces through every attempt to hide. But, God does not intend to leave us naked and exposed. When we turn to Him, He wraps us in His grace. The only proper covering for my sin is found in God’s grace provided in Jesus.

2 comments:

The Old Hippies' Daughter said...

You should write a book. Your writings are always enjoyable to read! Your commentary on scripture is revealing and insightful. Thank you for your posts.

Paul Metler, Ph.D. said...

You are too kind! Thanks for reading and encouraging. Well, I am saving my devotional writing in case I want to publish in a different form at some point.