About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, September 10, 2012

Conformed or Transformed


Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
Romans 12:1-2

What does it mean to “be transformed by the renewing of your mind”? It’s clear that it is not the will of God for me to be shaped to fit the latest pattern of the world. Instead, I am changed from the inside out. How does that happen? After giving some thought to the challenge, I find the following questions useful. 

1.     What will be my testimony today? Every day is a part of my testimony. My life is my story. I am an active witness. There are things that I will and will not do simply because I belong to the Lord Jesus Christ and I recognize that my life is a testimony about His lordship.

2.     How will God impact my choices today? Attending church is not enough. The transformational power of God affects my daily life. That requires me to cultivate a dynamic relationship with God - the kind of relationship that impacts my decision-making.

3.     Am I filtering the primary influences on my life through God's Word, Prayer and Christian Community? Frankly, most days it may seem much easier to go with the flow (the patterns of this world). But, while it may be easier to feed my selfish desires, there is a clear difference between those desires and the things that strengthen my heart and soul. God has provided and will provide guidance. It’s up to me to put the filters in place and utilize the help that God gives.

4.     When I fail – how will I respond? The transformational process is not a guarantee of a “mistake free” existence. It is critical that I know what to do when I fall down. Response patterns are as old as the existence of human beings. Will I hide from God? Will I run from God? Will I throw up my hands and lose hope? Or, will I run to God and find that God is my refuge. Will I return to God and find strength?

No comments: