About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, July 18, 2011

Refuge

You evildoers frustrate the plans of the poor, but the LORD is their refuge.
Psalm 14:6

I have chosen to meditate on the words of Psalm 14 this week. Today, I will remember that the Lord is a “refuge”. In particular, the Psalm identifies God as a refuge for the poor. Why the poor? For me, it is a reminder that I do not seek refuge unless I recognize my need for God. I must understand that God is present. God is my shelter. To put it more bluntly, I must understand that I need God. My first impression may be to consider the poor only in terms of financial challenges. I believe there is a deeper message. God is a refuge for those who need and seek shelter. Before I celebrate God as my refuge I need to consider how God is described a few verses earlier in the Psalm. God is in heaven looking down on us “to see if there are any who understand, any who seek God”. God is well aware of every evildoer and every attack on the poor. Also, God sees me. Really, God sees me. He observes more than my actions. God sees my heart. He sees what is invisible to all others. God sees my spirit. No wonder Jesus declared “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven”. If I am content with my own kingdom, I will turn aside from the kingdom of heaven. The poor in spirit are blessed with a refuge. The Lord is our refuge.

No comments: