About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Cross and an Empty Tomb

This week I have been thinking about the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus. That means I have re-examined the cross and the tomb. These are more than symbols of my faith. They are more than reminders of the reality of the incarnation and sacrificial death of the Son of God. My meditation on the cross this week has refreshed my understanding of just how devastating the impact of sin. It's impossible to read the account of the crucifixion without sensing what a brutal and agonizing death it was. Why the brutality? With each thorn, each beating, each nail comes a reminder that sin is horrible. The death of Jesus was so terrible because, "He who knew no sin became sin for us". The brutality was the outworking of a sinful world. His suffering was a portrait of a sinful world. After His death, Jesus was buried. Is it possible for my sins to be buried? Not hidden, but forgiven. The empty tomb reminds me of the possibility of such a miracle. The forgiveness of sin is a miracle. It is life after death. It is new life after forgiveness. The cross shows the ugliness of sin. The empty tomb declares the beauty and depth of God's love and the magnitude of His power.

No comments: