About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, December 10, 2007

Guarantee

The New England Patriots defeated the Pittsburgh Steelers 34-13 yesterday. The game had received a great deal of attention for several reasons. The Patriots are undefeated. The Steelers have the top rated defense in the NFL. But, most of the attention centered around the Steelers' safety Anthony Smith who had "guaranteed" that the Steelers would defeat the Patriots. So much for guarantees! Not only did the Steelers lose, Smith was torched for two touchdowns. To be fair, most people took Smith's guarantee with a grain of salt - realizing that such a guarantee is impossible. He couldn't possibly control all of the variables that determine the outcome. What can we guarantee this week? What variables are beyond our control and what are the things we can control? Much of life's challenges are unexpected and beyond our prediction or control. Yet, we are guaranteed God's presence and grace everyday. Also, we have been granted the freedom to respond.

No comments: